Friday 15 July 2011

15.07.11

So today I return home. The emotional goodbyes finally came to an end as I got on the train to the airport. I am on the airplane and my mind has been ticking… Vienna, the city itself and the people in it have been fantastic. The time I spent there was perfect in every way, a true life changing experience.

At the TU the tutors have time for individuals and communicate with their students with a mutual respect, interest and willingness to treat each student as an individual and work to their strengths. I feel in the UK architecture seems to be a tick list. The boxes must be ticked to do well, but if there is an additional piece of work for example a document towards a design project, the tutors will not read it but will check that it is there. How can they expect students to produce work that is not reviewed? Yet, in Austria word counts, file layouts, presentation techniques, are all decisions that have to be made by the student. The tutor looks for the positives in their students and encourages them to work towards their strengths, regardless of what media or format they finally present it in.
I felt with all of my subjects I learned a lot and even excelled in certain aspect – all without the pressure of what I have been used to.
In my opinion, students in the UK run around panicking and spend time on things that actually in context are not important – in Austria students are focused and relaxed and produce work in a controlled environment without the need for stress.

I am sorely going to miss my family in Vienna. The past week was full of farewells and I must admit that I really will miss them all. A few individuals (you know who you are) I felt that I have known for my lifetime, the Erasmus experience makes you realise that certain things in life are important but also how valuable life itself and the experiences you gain from such things are often far more productive, better and valuable than slaving away shut off from the world. The number of lessons I learnt, amount of confidence I gained, languages improved and people that I met was something I will never forget.

Thank you Erasmus.