Friday 15 April 2011

15.04.11

Today was our second session with Will Alsop. We were presenting our assigned task to create an Illusion.
I had prepared my work in the form of an A3 document which I was going to present on my laptop.
Once we had all settled down Will Alsop greeted us and due to the session starting late we were going to begin immediately. He looked at me and told me I would be the first to present. I did not have time to set up the laptop so instead I used the printed document as my aid in the presentation.
Overall I believe that the presentation went well and I felt I put my points across and was very impressed that Will Alsop managed to read the first hidden message in my Wall Art composition.
The rest of the group delivered a number of different forms of illusions in a variety of media and materials. Ellen created a subliminal film that was meant to generate subconscious thoughts of hunger. Leanne created an illusion of materials that were posing as one form but made from another. There were interesting experiments with models made with reflective materials, a few fantastic concepts based on using mirrors in enclosed spaces and a few interesting videos made.
It was a intriguing to see different angles and perceptions of other students in the group. Quite a few people had really excelled in the task and showed that sometimes the most simple ideas are the most successful as everybody can understand these. The combination of different techniques and ideas was an interesting experience for me and one that I had not experienced at my previous university. Overall it was an exciting day but we have also now got to start preparing for the next task; we are to translate our illusions into an installation in the university courtyard. This more artistic approach to architecture is probing many questions as to where the course may lead us but, it has also been a refreshing approach to working and seeing architecture being taught from a very different angle.

Look Closer You Can See Unread Messages