Tuesday 15 February 2011

15.02.11

Today I embark on a new chapter in my life. The past few weeks have all been building up towards my trip to Vienna. The Erasmus Exchange was a chance to experience University life and teaching in a new environment. From the moment the School of Architecture mentioned the opportunity to travel to Vienna my ears pricked up. At the start of the term two Diploma 2 students Paul Cashin and Niall Bird gave a presentation on their recent experience of the exchange - by the end of their talk my mind was set.

The early morning start to catch my flight from Heathrow really brought weeks of anticipation to reality. The flight was swift and we landed on Austrian soil early; a good start! Nerves disappeared the moment I landed and adrenaline slowly began to kick in. Now thoughts of 'have I got everything?' and 'do you remember where you are going?' started, as well as trying to remember German phrases from 8years ago at school!
I got a taxi to the housing office to register, where I had my first experience of the Austrian’s love for filling out forms! Once the paperwork was done and I found out where I was heading, I began dragging my suitcases to the ‘Schottentor-Universitat’ U-Bahn station. I made my way to ‘Messer-Prater’ which was to be my local station for the rest of my stay in Vienna.

The Gastehaus on Molkereistrasse is a halls of residence constructed as a passive house; it was built in 2005 and offers 278 rooms in different sizes flats. I had seen photographs but as usual it is never the same as visiting a place at first hand. I had a little trouble finding my room at first but with a bit of help from another resident I found myself making my way up to the Dachgeschloss (the roof rooms). The flat has two bedrooms, a kitchen and a bathroom and is in perfect condition. I was especially surprised at the bedroom which included all the essentials such as bedding and duvet, but also came with a radio and television! After settling in and unpacking I made my way to the local shop and stocked up on the most important things – such as Austrian beers…oh yes, and food! Later that evening Ellen Palmer and Leanne Todd also from the Portsmouth School of Architecture came over to celebrate our arrival and have a look around the halls. The day had flown past and by the end, I was absolutely shattered and drifted off to sleep in my new ‘home’.

OeAD Gastehaus - Molkereistrasse