Wednesday 23 February 2011

23.02.11

Once again my day started by meeting my parents at the Belvedere. We had unfinished business – to see the Gusatav Klimt paintings. We made our way up the Upper Belvedere which has an impressive collection of art dating from the Middle-Ages to the present day. This is also the home to the largest Gustav Klimt collection including ‘The Kiss’ and ‘Judith’. As we walked slowly through the collection, my eye was caught by the unmistakable technique and colour pallet of Claude Monet; viewing such a master of the paintbrush at such a close distance was one of the highlights of my day. The grand rooms and intricate detailing of the walls and ceilings could not detract my eye from his work. The way the pieces change as you move through the room and towards the paintings is a real inspiration. Seeing his work also reminded me that seeing images in books never gives you a real sense of scale and this was reinforced by seeing his work on a range of different size canvases. There were a number of stunning works and fantastic artists; the range was wonderful. Seeing Jacques-Louis David’s painting of ‘Napoleon Crossing the Alps’ was another unmistakable image that I remember seeing so many times in books, this was the first time I could understand the real size and depth of the piece.
Seeing Klimt’s work was special. The collection showed a variety of styles, from a set of pointillist landscapes to portraits and masterpieces. I had always associated Klimt with his famous paintings using gold leaf to add depth, but in this collection you could see a clear progression of an artist who had developed his techniques through a number of styles. What was clear was the reoccurring themes throughout his work; the delicate patterns and deep colours were mesmerising. Going to the Belvedere and its collection is a definite recommendation!

Standing in the entrance hall of the Upper Belvedere

My parents and I braved the cold and decided to make our way towards Adolf Loos’s ‘American Bar’. The bar is situated on a small side street just off Kartner Strasse just south of Stephensplatz. Stepping into the bar, my first impression was that it was quite a large space due to the seemingly endless array of freestanding columns. After a second or two I realised that this was actually the illusion given by mirrors covering the whole width of the bar, the parallel wall and back wall. The tiny bar immediately drew us in with a smile. The mahogany panels alongside marble and onyx stone created a unique environment. The dark materials juxtaposed with the glowing bar tables and smokey atmosphere had us sinking into our seats. I had seen photographs but once again these do not give justice to such a place, the details from the counter, to drinks cabinets and the bar surface only become real when sitting in the bar. The thought and realisation that such a small area could be so well designed set a challenge in my mind; good architecture has no size restrictions. I am definitely returning to the bar armed with a sketch book.


Inside the American Bar

We left the bar reluctantly and ventured into the cold to find a place to eat. A small restaurant down a small alley was teaming with people. The place was so busy that we were squeezed onto a table; we realised why it was so popular when the food came. They were serving the largest Wiener Schnitzel I have ever seen alongside other wholesome Austrian dishes.
I returned home to find my flat mate had moved in, Victor Gomes from Portugal studying electrical engineering. I was met with a huge smile and a friendly handshake, he spoke to me in perfect English explaining that his German was very basic – this was a relief and I replied that we were in the same situation. We sat down and immediately started to talk, discussing everything from languages to football to food and drink. We sat for hours and neither of us realised the time fly by. I was very happy to be lucky enough to live with such a nice person.

Another fantastic day and once again I return home very tired and ready for bed, a good sleep is needed to be ready for tomorrows adventures.