Thursday 17 February 2011

17.02.11

I found myself in an awkward situation this morning. I was woken by an odd buzzing sound, (later I worked out this is in fact my doorbell) followed by strange voices... In my daze; and just as I was rolling out of bed (rather inappropriately dressed – well not dressed at all) a lady non the wiser walked into my room, receiving a bit of a shock shall we say! I don’t know who was more scared, her or I! I then had an even more difficult time (now fully dressed) trying to tip-toe my way around what happened to be cleaners! Why did they not tell me I would have cleaners!
So after a rather strange start to the day I travelled into town to meet Ellen and Leanne to pay our rent at the bank and sign up as local residents to the authorities. The first place we went to was reasonably quick as we simply handed over a set of forms and handed over our passport information. We then set off to the next registry office on the other side of town to fill out more forms and hand over more information. It took a little bit of time to decipher the German but we managed in the end.
That evening we decided to go to a club called the Praterdome. This was located very close to where I lived but we still could not find it. We asked for directions in German and the gentleman who was kind enough to help us had realised we were not very good German speakers and replied ‘Links at die rotes porky, und rechts at die blinky-blinky’. We did manage to keep a straight face and soon enough realised that we had to turn left at the large pig shaped cash machine, and then right once we reached the flashing lights. Classic, I guess you had to be there but it was very funny at the time.
Once we found the club it had a real ‘theme park’ style to it. You entered into a Chessington World of Adventures type turnstile and were given a card upon entry. The décor was also in themes, different rooms were in various styles from a cathedral type dance floor to a barn style bar. The card we received upon entry was actually what we used to pay – but the danger of this is having no idea how much you were spending until you reached the till at the turnstiles at the exit! The night was great fun and the girls managed to leave without paying for drinks; ‘ladies night’. How wonderful…for them!
Overall it was a productive day and an interesting night out, fingers crossed that form filling is out of the way for a bit!


Ellen, Taryn and Leanne before heading to the Praterdome

Our 'Austrian Culture' lessons had begun