Tuesday 1 March 2011

01.03.11

Today Ellen, Leanne and I returned to the TU for our afternoon introduction session. We had to confirm our details (again…how much administration can you have!) and we were introduced to the Deans of the departments. This was very useful as we were shown in more detail the list of available courses and design units. We were asked to email our chosen option as soon as possible, I only had one in mind! Will Alsop’s ‘Fog, illusion and space’. Will Alsop was one of the main reasons for coming to study in Vienna. His reputation as an artist and architect and his array of impressive projects immediately caught my attention. To have the opportunity to be taught by him would be a dream. Finger’s crossed!

After the introduction session we were informed that there was an exhibition on. There was a variety of student’s work up and this was useful not only to see the type of projects they had undergone but also see the quality of work. The different design studios had taken a number of approaches to presenting their work. Most were in the classic form of sheets and boards on the wall; although some had models to accompany this and others had booklets as well.
One studio interestingly presented their work on the ceiling; initially I found this frustrating as I could not easily scan over the work. It forced me to stand still and lean my head back, but as I did this I realised they had achieved the desired effect of stopping the viewer and forcing them to focus on their work.
Overall the exhibition was to a very high standard, the work was thorough and the final models and sheets were very well laid out and presented. I know what is expected here and I hope I can deliver.