Sunday 13 March 2011

13.03.11

Today I spent the afternoon sitting on the ground outside of the Upper Belvedere Palace with my sketch book. I managed to sit myself in the prime 'photo spot' much to the annoyance of many people, but with headphones in I zoned out for a couple of hours and sunk into studying the facade of the palace. I notice the variety of details and clever techniques used to break up the facade. This was my second visit to the Belvedere Palace (see 22-23.02.11) but my first sketch since arriving in Vienna as up until now it had been too cold to sit out and sketch. Hopefully this will be the first of many!

My A5 sketch of the Upper Belveder Palace

As the clouds came over and the temperatures dropped I decided to go and meet a group of friends in the 'Klienes Cafe' just off Franziskanerplatz. The tiny cafe is said to be one of the smallest, quaintest coffee houses in central Vienna. It had a lovely atmosphere and there was a range of people sitting inside from students to tourists to locals sitting and enjoying the Sunday newspaper.

Zoe, Alexa, Jane, Leanne and Ellen inside the atmospheric Klienes Cafe