Monday 28 March 2011

28.03.2011

This morning Oliver Schurer began the Technic and Civilisation session by telling us what he wanted from us as students. He began to explain how the theory department would review us and how we should approach our work. His approach is very different to what I have been used to, but to be honest I believe is better. He believes that we should not be limited by word counts, layouts and formatting as this in his opinion only hinders and restricts student’s development. The theory department want to read and fully understand our work and findings; and how we present it should be in the format that we feel most comfortable with to put our points across. The aim for us is to research, discuss and then focus on a key topic within our studies. He also gave us the option to blog our research and evolving hypotheses. He encouraged us to share our knowledge and sources as most students are very protective of their findings and unwilling to share information. From his perspective learning is the most important thing; not just learning from the tutor or from our own findings but from our fellow students, this way we learn not from a few people but as a group. The atmosphere he creates is open and friendly, there is no tension or worry about saying the wrong or right things. The mature approach and feeling that everybody is equal is something which is difficult to achieve and so far in the TU I have finally seen this and how beneficial it can be. He really makes our sessions a pleasurable learning experience, for that I am very grateful and I know in these conditions I will do my best to perform as well as I can.

After the lecture I decided to visit the Museums Quartier area to have a look at the surrounding buildings and grounds. My eye was drawn to the Kunsthistorisches Museum (Museum of Art History) and Naturhistorisches Museum (Natural History Museum). The two buildings face each other with the Maria Theresia Platz as the focus in the middle. The statue of Maria Theresa is by Kasper von Zumbusch and shows the empress holding the sanction of 1713 that made it official for a woman to succeed to the throne. The two main buildings have matching facades (except for a few details) and were designed by Gottfried Semper and Karl Freiherr von Hasenauer and built between 1872 and 1891. The two museums on the Ringstrasse were originally built to house the Habsburg’s formidable art collection and for it to be available to the public.

The Naturhistorisches Museum

Statue of Maria Theresia with her Generals, Nobles and Advisors

Tomorrow I have Image Processing in the morning and then the first Forms of Practice seminar of the term, I am looking forward to these so I better get an early night. On Wednesday we also have our first design unit session with Will Alsop which I am very excited about and intrigued as to what Fog Illusion and Space holds in store for me!

My A5 sketch of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Entrance