Tuesday 8 March 2011

08.03.11

Today I attended my first ‘Image Processing’ lecture. It was with Arnold Faller, a large jolly man who always seems to have a beaming smile on his face. Even though his class was full he managed to squeeze Ellen, Leanne and myself onto the course. For this we were very grateful! The session was in a computer room with most people able to sit at computer or at least share one. He spoke to the class in English and explained his approach to teaching and told us of things we had to be aware off such as deadlines etc; he then introduced us into the course.
His lecture included raster graphics, colour modes, colour depths, resolutions, image types and software packages. Each one he explained in full detail, from the mathematical thinking behind each of these to the practicalities and how they could and should be applied.
I have worked with most of the image types that he had spoken about, but I realise now that I did not actually understand them. In the past people have shown me how to use them, but I have never actually questioned their meaning or actually searched for a full understanding of these tools. All of a sudden the ‘picture’ became clear; I really appreciated having all of these things fully explained as there is no point in using tools you don’t understand!
The course is very interesting and seems to be moving in an exciting direction involving lots of photography and image composition which will hopefully be very useful to feed back into my architectural design work.