Sunday 27 March 2011

27.03.11

A week has flown by since my last blog. The time here is really starting to disappear quickly! A combination of university work and beautiful weather is always hard to balance! On Tuesday this week I had the next session of Image Processing where we focused on the basic sciences of photography. Once again this was a fantastic session for me, opening my understanding and ideas for such a great subject. Arnold Faller looked at the past and present technologies, how they were and are used and the practicalities behind these; overall I was very happy and thoroughly enjoyed the session. The rest of the week has been spent doing a mixture of research for my Technic and Civilisation unit as well as trying to catch up on my Havant project from the first semester which I need to represent for my portfolio. It took me quite a while to get back into the flow of using Micro GDS (my chosen CAD system) and has reminded me how time consuming drawing is.
On Friday we had our second lecture from Petra Hirschler on Spatial and Environmental Planning in ECC countries, this time introducing us straight into the Danube project we will be studying. The scale of the proposals and number of countries it involves was a shock; especially how different strategies in Europe are due to the number of places they affect. Coordination seems to be the key, but the reality of this over such a large expanse of river is quite unrealistic – especially when each country has its own ideas and proposals. At the end of the session we were told to get into groups and begin thinking about a comparative study that we can look at and begin formulating across to the Danube.

The weekend has flown by, but during the week we were lucky enough to have blue skies and temperatures reaching 18 Degrees Celsius! When you are blessed with such conditions it would be rude not to enjoy it especially seeing as we are located just across the road from the Prater Park!

Stephansdom on Wednesday evening