Wednesday 2 March 2011

02.03.11

I left early today to make sure I beat the queue for my student travel pass. I had waited an hour in line yesterday evening with the completed form and my student ID just to be told that I needed a printed confirmation (as I paid online and not at the bank where you receive a stamp) that I had paid my student fee. I purchased the ticket and now no longer have to worry about constantly buying travel passes!

I made my way up the ‘HS 11 Paul Ludwig Horsaal’ lecture theatre. Here we were given a series of presentations from lecturers on their ‘Modules’. The modules are made up of a series of courses. The freedom of study is once again highlighted in the fact that you do not need to attend all the courses in a module and you can choose a number of courses on different modules.
The downside to what initially would have been an interesting morning was that all the presentations were in German. The speed and technical language used was extremely difficult to follow. For the first half hour or so I made a huge effort to try and understand the lecturers but my concentration and lack of knowledge of the language soon had me feeling a little disheartened. I wrote down all the references to their homepages online and thought I would have to go through these in my own time with the handy tool of ‘Google translator’.

In Portsmouth at the end of a lecture, students quickly pack up their books and run for the door. The Austrians show their appreciation for the lecture or presentation by tapping loudly on the tables (clapping it seems is not a custom at university) but showing respect and gratitude is.

The morning had been a little draining but Leanne, Ellen and I decided that we would individually search online for courses that we were interested in and then go and speak to the respective lecturers to find out more about the course, what language it was taught in and when it would be held.